Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Why Paris?

I had been told to save the dates end of October for a retreat, which I was then not included. So... with my calendar, having a few days carved out is like Gold. The past few months as my Mother's estate is settled, a couple checks have drifted in from old insurance policies and the like. One lesson I learned from my Mother and my dear Aunt Bobbie is to travel and meet people other than myself. I've taken that to heart. And looking at one of the checks, I decided I could buy something... but truly I've learned material things don't make me happy... or I could buy an experience... thus Paris.

My friend Jan drove me to the airport Monday, November 1. Part of my journey this past year has been exploring life and love and relationships and all that holds. Jan has been a great friend to share some of these reflections and it was nice to have that support to get to the airport for a trip she could tell I dreaded but also am desiring. I've learned this year to treasure the people who are close enough to go beyond the surface... having Jan name a few things for me as we loaded my stuff into her car was a gift. I didn't really want to leave... but I felt compelled. So off I went.

My first sign that this was a necessary trip to reframe things was arriving at my gate at San Francisco Airport. It was the same gate my daughter and I flew out of a little over a year before to go be with my Mother in Hospice for her final days. Freaky! But I almost laughed and thought... okay... how profound is this. Right before boarding they moved our gate next door from 47 to 46... not sure what that means but I ended up going down a different path for this plane. The flight was uneventful... interesting people to meet in the galley and share stories. Got to Paris and new this was biggest part for me... conquering doing this on my own. Figured out how to take the RER and Metro into Paris. Note to self... even though I thought I'd trimmed down my suitcase to minimal amount for a month... I should ALWAYS pack less. Especially if taking the Metro... no elevators... Hauling one 50+ pound suitcase up and down multiple staircases is not fun or glamorous, even in Paris.

I arrived at my hotel so happy to see an elevator. Desk Man is named Yann... how appropriate. I told him I used to work with a Yann in San Francisco and on the plane wished I had gotten his current phone number. But I hadn't. So I told this Yann he must be the one I was to meet! After a nap I took on Paris. Such freedom to know I don't have a schedule and can go wherever I want. I am staying right next to the Eiffel Tower... it was a misty night and I was so excited to walk toward the Seine and pass cafes and then in a moment it appeared... Just as the skyline of San Francisco still takes my breath away each time I cross the Bay Bridge, the sight of the huge lit tower in the mist made my heart sing.

I saw the crepe man on the street and thought, yes, I need a crepe... so indulged in a delicious chocolate one! Then on to the base of the Eiffel Tower. I thought about going up but something held me back... I think I want to share that with someone one day... so I decided to stay on the ground and take in the moment to savor this sight. Went to a stand to get coffee and found they had mulled wine... yes, that is what I should have in Paris... so I sat on a bench with my mulled delicious wine and watched all the people and activity.
Met two young women from Hong Kong who were having so much fun doing a "photo shoot" with the tower so took some of them together and then they returned the favor, taking my photo...urging me to do some model poses that caused lots of giggles for all of us.
After I took to the river and walked along the Seine... found a boat that had a simple wood table and four chairs surrounded by potted mums... yes, I would like to have a meal at that table.






Made my way back up to a bridge just in time to view the Eiffel Tower sparkling with blinking lights... not sure why but for a moment the lights blinked and went blue and then it was back to steady lighting. Reminded me of the movie "Sleepless in Seattle" where Meg Ryan sees the Empire State Building all lit up and leaves her fiance because it's a sign...

Found my perfect cafe for the evening, ordered my half bottle of Bordeaux and a cheese plate and settled in with my book, "The Bread of Angels" by Stephanie Saldana... that my dear friend Gail suggested. Oh my... this book is moving me to my core... I highly recommend it... about a young woman's year in Syria learning Arabic but really, so, so much more. Sat for a couple hours reading and watching people and texting back and forth with home and loved ones.


Wandering back to hotel I took a little trek a block beyond and came upon Cafe Fayrouz... Lebanese Cuisine. Of course, I went in... Had some Ksara Sunset Rose and a Sweet... my waiter was from Byblos... I have yet to visit Byblos but as I shared with him... perhaps this time.



Looking toward the rest of my time in Paris and anticipating my time in Lebanon and Syria, and all the "perhaps this time" that will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment