Sunday, November 7, 2010

Psalm 88 - For those in darkness


I am now at a conference center in the midst of God's creation in the Lebanese Mountains and since yesterday have met many people from Iraq and USA. The past three days since arriving in Lebanon have been full preparing for the conference, but more important, walking with people and hearing their journey. My heart is wide open and overwhelmed, and yes... truly pained. We say when one part of the body hurts we all hurt, and I share that often. But truly I am living that out in ways I need to understand and reconcile.

Today we worshipped at the Rabiya Presbyterian Church. The preacher was from an Iraqi church. I am still processing the sermon about sacrifices to the Lord and how that fits our Christian faith. Readings from John 16:1-4 and 2 Thessalonians: 1-12. An end offering was reminder that God tells us to pray for enemies; do good to those who offend you,. If you believe in God being the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.. that gives you a key to the map of how we deal with the current situations in our lifes as followers of Christ. This is where my head starts spinning in light of the massacre last Sunday in Baghdad; in light of the murder of a 14-year-old student going through the same schools as my children in Californa; going thorugh a young man riding a BART train home on New Year's Eve and being shot execution style out of fear with a live gun when the officer got confused about which one was loaded and live, versus which one was a stun gun.

A remider of the promise of a new day was ending this afternoon, in community at Byblos, and viewing a most awesome sunset.

I will write more about the stories and experiences I have heard thus far in future posts with following direction to new sunrises... but need time to reflect and sadly censor to be able to share a glimpse without compromising dear ones situations.

From the conversations today, I dedicate this psalm to brothers and sisters from Iraq, and in any place in the world with unjust suffering... My USA friends, if you are in a faith community of any kinds, please take time to share a prayer of thanksgiving that you can go to church freely, without frear or murders orkinnppings or tragicaly asssisantions, do that freely and give thanks to God.

Our official consultaion begins torromow with sharing and meeting. Please pray for the holy spirits presnece in this consultaion and cleara maching orders.

Psalm 88

A Song. A Psalm of the Korahites. To the leader: according to Mahalath Leannoth. A Maskil of Heman the Ezrahite.
1 O Lord, God of my salvation,
when, at night, I cry out in your presence,
2 let my prayer come before you;
incline your ear to my cry.

3 For my soul is full of troubles,
and my life draws near to Sheol.
4 I am counted among those who go down to the Pit;
I am like those who have no help,
5 like those forsaken among the dead,
like the slain that lie in the grave,
like those whom you remember no more,
for they are cut off from your hand.
6 You have put me in the depths of the Pit,
in the regions dark and deep.
7 Your wrath lies heavy upon me,
and you overwhelm me with all your waves.
Selah


8 You have caused my companions to shun me;
you have made me a thing of horror to them.
I am shut in so that I cannot escape;
9 my eye grows dim through sorrow.
Every day I call on you, O Lord;
I spread out my hands to you.
10 Do you work wonders for the dead?
Do the shades rise up to praise you?
Selah
11 Is your steadfast love declared in the grave,
or your faithfulness in Abaddon?
12 Are your wonders known in the darkness,
or your saving help in the land of forgetfulness?


13 But I, O Lord, cry out to you;
in the morning my prayer comes before you.
14 O Lord, why do you cast me off?
Why do you hide your face from me?
15 Wretched and close to death from my youth up,
I suffer your terrors; I am desperate.*
16 Your wrath has swept over me;
your dread assaults destroy me.
17 They surround me like a flood all day long;
from all sides they close in on me.
18 You have caused friend and neighbour to shun me;
my companions are in darkness.


Lord, may you grant mercy to those who read this and are in desparate need of understaning and your grace.. and guide us n ou path to jourey together.

View from the retreat center chapel.

No comments:

Post a Comment