Friday, November 5, 2010

Goodbye Paris, Hello Beirut - November 4, 2010


Up early Thursday morning to depart Paris. Left hotel at 6 a.m. and loved my driver from Cambodia and our twilight drive through the city. The Arc de Triomphe was still glowing in the edge of sunrise. As we drive by and entered the tunnel where I believe Princess Di was in the car crash, the radio ironically played Gloria Gaynor’s “I Will Survive”.

I was so excited to have my rendezvous with dear friend Marilyn at Charles de Gaulle airport. We were to fly together to Beirut. Hardly ever do I get to connect with a friend for travel, so we were both happy and had our reunion with communion over extra large cappuccinos, while awaiting our flight. Flight went quick with nonstop conversation to match the flight.

Our colleague and friend, Nuhad picked us up at the airport and delivered us to the Mayflower Hotel. I always like to have a drink at the Mayflower when in Beirut to do a “Robert Fisk Sighting”. Haven’t sighted him there yet. I did just see him and hear him speak in Berkeley, so I guess that’s as good as it gets. The UCC church where he spoke was packed, so I had a front row seat... literally... sitting on the floor under him. So I’m pretty clear what he looks like now... pore by pore... should I ever sight him live in Beirut.

I went out by myself to pick up bottled water and important provisions like nuts (kernels), chocolate and wine. It was dusk and I love the activity of the streets and navigating crossing them without getting hit by the cars or motorbikes. Went to look at Le Cigale candy and pastry shoppe! Just looked... It was warm and balmy in Beirut... around 80 degrees fahrenheit. After we were settled a bit, we went to Nuhad’s for nice warm night on his patio. I always love watching the children play soccer game in the parking lot below. Not sure if my kids know what a luxury a soccer field is, and that in most places in the world one plays soccer where there is an open space... whatever the space.



Sobering conversation as we turn to Iraq and look toward our time with Christians next week, in light of the recent attack and massacre at the Assyrian Catholic Church in Bagdad. When the attack was happening the Bagdad Presbyterian church received a call to stop their service and send everyone home, in case it would be a mass attack on all the churches. Christians have to find alternative times to worship to what we would in the US on Sunday morning.

I am worried about my dear sister in Bagdad... a friend I met last year and immediately bonded with. I think of her at church and being told to go home... she lives alone. I would be so scared to go home alone. I know her though... she is a faithful person and I can hear her saying she has faith in her God and her Jesus to watch over her... but I wish I was there to be with her and let her see the presence of her sister with her... to know the presence of Christ with her... I hope I'll hear back from the email I sent to her soon...


It is good to have familiar friends to toast to the beginning of this time in Beirut. One of endings, and beginnings. Many more friends to see... and the ones that are not here are in my heart and my prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment