Friday, November 5, 2010

House of Mashed Potatoes - November 3, 2010


I bought the Metro day pass to make sure I didn’t go back and stay in my hotel room... if I’m in Paris I need to take it all in! So arriving back at hotel at 9pm, I did a few things and forced myself to go out for dinner. My friend Max told me about a historic Indonesian place near the Sorbonne I wish I could go but it would take about 30 minutes each way... so instead I just got on the Metro and picked a stop a couple away from my Dupliex stop for the hotel. Ended up in the Montparnasse area. At first I thought, hmmm this might have been a mistake. But after walking about 2 blocks I ended up in the middle of a plethora of lit up inviting cafes and restaurants. Walked by one that was packed with people having waiters dish out savory potatoes from copper saucepans... after circling decided that was the place. The USA is blessed with House of Pancakes... clearly my restaurant of the night could be named France’s House of Mashed Potatoes.


I sat outside because I love being outside and well, clearly it’s pretty common here... even though it’s 48 degrees fahrenheit. Great view of a cool theater across from my table. I asked the waiter about the potatoes from the copper saucepan so he explained you order the potatoes and have a choice of meat to go with it. Ordered ham with my potatoes. Asked waiter for choice of French wine to go with and got my baby carafe of “hearty” wine, and was good to go. If there are mashed potatoes in heaven, these would be the ones... creamy, cheesy, garlic mashed potatoes that are a bit lumpy... ooh la la. Waddled and made my way back to Metro... onboard thought it’s my last night... can’t go back to hotel yet! Decided to go the extra stop and walk back to Eiffel Tower to say goodnight.

Eiffel Tower is not lacking vendors selling a variety of Eiffel Tower statues and souvenirs... even at Midnight... I had held firm the other day with my “No, Merci” The gentleman this night was sure I really needed the lovely 3” plastic Eiffel Tower that lights up in fluorescent colors. After talking him down 7 euros, so for the ripe price of 3 euros, I am the proud owner of this tacky little statue... not like the ones at The Louvre, but trust me, it will help me remember Paris and the twinkling lights of the Tower! And with that I said "au revoir" to Paris and returned to my hotel to pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment