Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Frankfurt to Marseille


Final leg of the trip finds me on Lufthansa flight with my two precious prophets peacefully sleeping next to me. I have to be honest I have a bit of apprehension about being the adult alone leading these two around Europe. I am used to being on my own on adventures. Grace and Jeremy are already proving to be great travelers. They did great packing lightly. They are game for what's ahead which is a lot of unknown. On our long flight from San Francisco to Frankfurt, I saw a couple with a baby and remembered traveling alone with Grace and Jeremy as babies. The first trip to Iowa alone with them they were just nine months old. I really don't know how I did it. I remember feeling Iike a pack mule. My twin mom sister friend Rose, loaned me her Kangaroo diaper bag.. The motherlode diaper backpack that allowed me to have just one bag and both hands available for, well, one baby in each arm... Now how did I do that? We had our double stroller that took us to the plane with one car seat on top and then I barked orders like a drill sergeant to the two flight attendants who looked like deer in headlights when they saw me boarding. Clearly neither was a parent. I needed to secure the car seat in the plane seat and handed a baby, Jeremy to the mail flight attendant asking him to hold the baby so I could get us settled so they could take off. He held the baby with outstretched arms, like the nine month old infant without teeth might bite. A passenger Grandmother type offered to take Grace and knew exactly what to do. The image is as amusing now as it was then. There was no time for my personal needs such as using the restroom, but then, that is part of being a Mom. I remember when they finally both fell asleep... One in the car seat and one in my arms and I felt like I had conquered the world. I wonder if I inspired the young childless flight attendants to have children or if that helped provide the best birth control ever?


Now my twins are young people and can take care of their needs as we travel. We are blessed that our friends invited us to join them in South France, so the beginning of the trip feels like baby steps into the month ahead and I really look forward tour time with Steve and Renee and their three young people. Remembering traveling with the baby prophets reminds me this is nothing... And so exciting! I trust there will be many more journeys and as we journey, it will be interesting to experience the different phases of the twin’s lives and mine. Whatever... Nothing is impossible. That I know for sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment